WHERE MY DOGS AT?? Woof Woof. As a full-time working dog mom, it is very important that I find extracurriculars that will involve my four-legged companion. Whether that be happy hours after a long day at the office, quick dinners during the week, or weekend hangouts, I find myself more times than not considering places based off their pet friendly policies.
Lucky for us, Houston has so much to offer with around 500 pet friendly options to choose from. The days of only socializing with your significant other (sorry human) are no longer subjected to fenced in fields thanks to the foundation Paws on Patios allowing dogs at outdoor tables in 2010. Listed below are our tops in each category from brunch to booze and everything in between.
Dog Friendly Coffee Shops & Cafes in Houston
- Throughgood Coffee – Brewing coffee from the best local establishments with an emphasis on artistry. Their patio is great for building a sense of community for humans and doggies!
- Bohemeo’s – Located in historic Eastwood, this eclectic East-End cafe and bar offers locally roasted coffee and has a beautiful, expansive outdoor patio with covered and uncovered seating with umbrellas and picnic tables on grass for all pups’ comfort. Their menu offers a great selection of food as well as wine with live music a few nights a week.
- Siphon Coffee – Their coffees are made from local roasters and use the Siphon method for brewed and espresso based beverages. They offer friendly customer service for you and your furry friend.
Dog Friendly Brunch Spots in Houston
- Boheme – Their spacious patio garden with worldly influences serves up brunch, pizzas, shared plates, cocktails, wine, and more in a cool environment. Their shady patio is dog friendly so plan to see the best drag show in town with your favorite sidekick.
- Barnaby’s – It’s even named after a pup! With multiple locations throughout Houston, all of which have dog-friendly patios of shade, umbrellas, dog bowls, friendly faces, and amazing comfort food.
- Kitchen at the Dunlavy – Designed as a glass tree house that overlooks Buffalo Bayou and Lost Lake offers a unique experience embracing the natural beauty of its surroundings while serving up breakfast and lunch daily. The outdoor patio deck has splendid views and is dog friendly.
Dog Friendly Lunch Restaurants in Houston
- Tiny Boxwood’s Cafe – Upscale-casual cafe serving American classics for breakfast and lunch among the chic outdoor patio and lush greenery. Well-behaved pooches are welcome to feel their poshness on the patio.
- Local Foods – With various locations throughout Houston, all with spacious patios, offer up a nice chill spot for the pup. Their seasonal menu brings you locally sourced ingredients of sandwiches, salads, and other prepared meals.
- Liberty Kitchen & Oysterette – Local harbor for seafood hosting a memorable meal with your pup. A great atmosphere with a small patio and doggy treats!
Dog Friendly Dinner Restaurants in Houston
- Soto’s Cantina – Family friendly traditional Mexican restaurant slinging all your Tex-Mex favorites. Their patio has spots of tree shaded tables as well as sunny areas for whichever the boss prefers.
- Backstreet Cafe – As one of Houston’s top restaurants, this 1930s house brings you Southern/Cajun American fare. This somewhat upscale bistro has some killer bites but the reason for the season is the spacious brick patio with a huge, luscious camphor tree and its own back entrance for the important 4-legged love in your life.
- Giacomo’s Cibo e Vino – Charming, hip Venetian-style spot for traditional dishes from locally sourced and imported ingredients. Proceeds from ordering specific desserts go to the Rescued Pets Movement. And if that isn’t enough to get you there, of course their covered and uncovered luscious patio is the top spot for you and your forever friend to split a bowl of pasta while helping to save his old pals.
Dog Friendly Happy Hours in Houston
- Axelrad – The 100-year-old renovated grocery store turned beer garden has a large outdoor area in the back with hammocks for a chill happy hour with a drink in hand. Pizza can be ordered from Luigi’s onsite. Dogs are welcomed inside and outside the bar so you can enjoy that slice while they eat the crust you don’t want.
- Kirby Ice House – Home to the massive outdoor patio area perfect for the puppers to network. The onsite food trucks allow them to tag along while picking out the evening snack.
- Little Woodrow’s – Their various locations throughout Houston all house some sort of covered patio to cool off and spend the best hour of the day.
Dog Friendly Hangout Spots in Houston
- Liberty Station – This converted gas station neighborhood bar offers a laid back day featuring yard games, food trucks, and dog friendly picnic tables. They have a huge indoor, outdoor patio with covered and uncovered seating.
- Karbach – This local brewery brings all the beer and fun with the pup your heart can handle. They have a huge beer garden with covered seating and umbrellas for shade. Catch an occasional concert here with your favorite furry wannabe rock star.
- Cottonwood – This lively bar and grill brings a great gravel patio with shaded areas and umbrellas. They serve delicious food with occasional live music and large screens for a day of sports and hang out madness.